Increase text Diminish text Reset text

Introduction

Rainbow over Corcubion

The County of Corcubion is located in the west coast of Galicia. Its ría is the highest of the Rías Baixas (Lower Rías), in the region know as Death Coast (The Death Coast).

It is a transition ría, between the calmer ones in southern Galicia (Rias Baixas) and the wilder ones in the north (Rias Altas).

The County de Corcubion is among the smallest ones in Galiza, with an extensión of 7,2 Km2 and around 2000 inhabitants. It is made of two parishes: San Marcos de Corcubion and San Pedro de Redonda.

 

Origin of Corcubion

The origin of our village is not very well known. But the prerroman place name indicates the area was populated long time ago.

Castro of Quenxe, which lies on top of the hill with the samen name, is one of the examples of castro culture traces in the area.

The name Corcubion might come from a celt language or from the old galician-portuguese. Corcu or Corco, meaning "circle" and -bión/-beón, meaning "lake" will join to form Corcubion.

The Port of Corcubion has been very important since ancient times. The classical chroniclers mention that the population greco-romans of the region belonged to the tribe protocelta of the nerios.

If the Romans arrived to Fisterra (Finis Terrae) where situated the Ara Solis, can not surprise the apparition of traces that give faith of the roman presence in Corcubion, for being his inlet the most protected place and natural port of the Ria.

 

Middle Age

San Marcos Church

The original settlement were further from the coastline as it is today.

From the XIII century on, when piracy diminished, population started moving towar the coasline, settling in the San Marcos Church.

St. Mark, the saint patron of Corcubion and Venice, might point to fact that Corcubion was part of the trade route between Mediterranean and Northern Europe.

The church of San Pedro de Redonda also belongs to this period.

From the Middle Ages on is when we start to have more documentation about Corcubion, when it became dependet of the Traba and Trastamara. You can see their old country mansion.

Later on, Corcubion passes to the Pazo de los Altamira.

The "Compendio do Estado de Altamira" (Compendium of the Altamira State), written in 1724 by Xosé Isla de la Torre, stated the the village of Corcubion had around 200 people, making a living out of sardine and conger eel fishing. The Altamira Count had a small country mansion, 56 houses and other properties. The count appointed the judge and another 4 governors for the village.

 

Modern Age

Casa Teixeira (1789)

From the XVIII century on, the salting industry begins with the capital from noble and bourgeois catalonian families (it is documented since 1755). This activity took of during the next century.

To protect the ria from attacks, the Castle of Cardeal is built.

This castle has a paired one on the other side of Corcubion Ría (Castle of Prince, in Cee). Crossing fire from both fortresses protected the Ria . There is a legend whichs says there used to be a chain crossing the Ria, impeding the entrance of ships.

At the beginning of the XIX century, Corcubion fought the French ocupation. In response to this resistance, the French Army ser on fire the village.

In the second half of the XIX century and the beginning of the XX Corcubion's economy grows. This fact can be traced nowadays in the Modenism buildings, such as House Miñones, Old Court and the Bourgeois Buildings.

 

Contemporary Age

In the XX century emigration begins, as in the rest of Galicia. A sign of this intense emigration is the constitution in Buenos Aires (Argentina) on 1923 of the Agrarian and Cultural Society of Sons of Corcubion County, later renamed as Charitable and Cultural Association of Corcubion County, with up to 3000 members (don't forget the fact this was more than the population in Corcubion).

The Association publish Alborada and built many schools in the area.

In the first third of the XX century, the Pilar Chapel is built.

During the II Republic and the Civil War, Corcubion and its neighbour population Cee, where one of the most active focus of the workers movemet, organized around the carbon factory and channeld throught the anarchist union CNT and the socialist union UGT.

The cultural activity in Corcubion was important by the time. In 1932, at Campo do Rollo, Federico García Lorca and its group "La Barraca" acted in the county.

 

Today

Nowadays Corcubion concentrates many public services, it keeps making a living out of fishing and some industry.

In the 60s the village gets recognition because of its beauty. In 1984 Corcubion is declared "Historical-Artistics Group" by the spanish Ministry of Public Works. In 2000, it is recognized by the galician governmet as "Galician Tourist County".

Tourism keeps growing and we have visitors from all over the world.

Besides, we have a rich folk architecure which can be seen everywhere, with horreos (granaries), mills, dovecotes and cruceiros (stone crosses).

The streets of Corcubion testify an importan past, materialized in its rich heritage, where the civil, the religious and the folk facets live together in harmony.